Friday, April 4, 2008

Eating out

I went to Burger King with 3 other home schooling families after SAT testing on Wednesday. I only had my 3 youngest and splurged and bought a Whopper Jr meal king size and the 8 piece nugget meal, also king size, plus an extra cheeseburger. We shared the fries and onion rings and drinks with more left over than we could eat. I spent a little over $11.00. For me, this was a splurge because normally I would have bought 4 hamburgers or nuggets off the $1.00 menu, plus two fries to share and 4 waters for about $6.00.

After I ordered and had my total, I started noticing what the other families were spending. One had three children and spent $22.00. She only had two meals also but did not super size them, then she ordered two sandwiches and fries. I had more food than her and spent half the money. I was sitting next to the receipt of one of the other families, and with two kids they spent $18.00. I didn't see what the other family spent but her two children had meals so I know it was more than I spent.

I don't think people even consider that you can have more food at a cheaper price. They think each person has to have a meal. When grandparents or my husband buys each of our kids a meal we end up throwing away fries and parts of sandwiches or nuggets. I always feel like it is better to start with halving all the food, and if someone is still hungry either get something at home or go back and order another nugget or fry. I can't stand to throw it away.

7 comments:

Marva said...

Great post! You are so right! People just don't think. They think each person needs a meal. Wrong. As long as everyone gets enough that is what matters. We usually do about the same thing when we go out. Many blessings!

Niki Jolene said...

The portions you get everywhere outside these days are way too big for a grownup, let along a kid.

Everyone does not need their own meal!

Great post.

:)

Mindy said...

We do this when we splurge or order-in chinese food too. We typically order 2-3 items and the portions are HUGE. Then everyone can have some of whatever they want, and it typically runs us about $25 for five people.

Crazy in Alabama said...

I think most people tend to have smaller families too. I have six in my family and you have seven. Eating at McDonald's can get pricy not to mention if we go to a nice restuarant. We are constantly trying to find ways to share meals or cut down on what we are buying. It's better than blowing the budget at McD's!!!!!!!!

Nicole said...

I think that we have been fooled into thinking that if we buy a meal we are getting a better deal. What they dont realize is what they are doing to their health and pocketbook. My youngest daughter and I always share a burger and then I get sepearate burgers for the others off the $1 menu. We sometimes order one large fry to share but not that often since they have glutten in them.

Stefany said...

wait - You guys homeschool too? So do we!

Tami said...

We always share when we go anywhere or we have coupons. Last night at Chicfila, we spent $12 on a dinner for 6 people. I thought that was great. The people behind us spent $23 on a family of 4 and put it on a credit card. What are people thinking? That is why there is so many money struggles. They need Dave Ramsey. Oh well, my friend always says, "Tami, you can't save us all." But I sure would like to try. (LOL)