Saturday, May 1, 2010

Garden 4/30/10

We put up four arbors for the climbing vegetables. We surrounded the beds with chicken wire until we can get our yard fenced. We have bunnies that come out and eat all my beans if I don't.
I have 4 tomatoes and two different peppers that will all be staked. I planted cucumber to climb the arbor. I am also trying to grow squash and zucchini at the base of the tomatoes and see how that does. In the two rows to the left you can see the tops of sweet onions. I am not sure how well they will do in here, but I thought I would try it to see if I can maximize the space.

In the two middle beds I have bush beans, climbing beans, okra, butterbeans both bush and climbing, and Pink eyed purple hull peas. I have reseeded the bare spots. Not sure why so many did not come up.



In this bed I have two types of lettuce, broccoli, and have seeded PEPH peas and climbing beans on the arbor. We have been taking the outer leaves of the lettuce and enjoying fresh salads.

I have herbs and strawberries on the deck in pots. This is thyme, basil, and oregano.




1 comment:

Jessica said...

your garden arbors are beautiful. I hope that you will add more pictures when your vegetables start growing on them!