Thursday, September 25, 2008

Succotash Recipe


I got this from Cooks.com

We are studying American History and learned that the Indians made succotash so I thought this would be a good thing to let the kids make. Since we are not doing homeschool Friday classes with the coop we are using this day to learn more about cooking and art and crafts and fieldtrips. This is one of those southern dishes that you see at every potluck but I never make it for our family.

1850'S SUCCOTASH NATCHEZ STYLE

1 lb. baby lima beans (fresh or frozen)
Salt pork
1 chopped onion
1 clove minced garlic
4 to 6 ears sweet corn
1/4 c. butter
Heavy cream
Salt and pepper to taste
Tabasco

Cook beans in water seasoned with salt pork, onion, and garlic until done. The water should cover the beans by about 2 to 3 inches. Cut corn off the cob and saute' in butter in heavy skillet. Drain beans, reserving liquid. Add beans to the corn and add enough cream and bean liquid to cover the corn and beans. Season with salt, pepper and Tabasco. Simmer for an additional 15 to 20 minutes. Serves 4 to 6.

3 comments:

Michelle said...

Sounds like fun letting the kids help out and experience it first hand

Valarie Lea said...

I did not think I would like this, but it does not sound half bad.

Jen - Balancing Beauty and Bedlam said...

We're studying AH as well, but let me know what your kids think after they have it. I can't believe I haven't heard of it before.

Let me know about Homemade Gourmet...I have lots more info but didn't want you to be overwhelmed with overload. :)