Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Using a Gift Box to Save Money



One thing that has saved us a ton of money is to keep a gift box. I pick up all the bargains that I find through the year to keep on hand for gifts. With five kids we have a lot of parties to attend. I like to pick up craft kits, legos, books, art supplies, toys that have been clearanced, journals, cute photo albums or frames, puzzles, remote cars, there are so many ideas!

I also have gifts for adults that I keep like afghans, albums, frames, candles, bath salts, swiss knives, and anything else I find. We do two or three Dirty Santa games at Christmas where we need $5.00-$10.00 gifts. I recently picked up a gift box packaged thermos with two coffee sip cups for $5.00, two floating flashlights for $1.58 each, a chenelle afghan for $4.00, a set of two photo albums for $3.79. These all make great gifts and were over half off original price.

I also try to keep gift bags, tissue, ribbon, and box sets of cards on hand. I recently bought a box of birthday cards for $1.50 at Walgreens. Keep blank note cards so that you can use for any occasion. I also pick up clearance paper plates and napkins. You can use these to make it festive when feeding one of the kids friends or when you have a friend drop by.

2 comments:

Justabeachkat said...

Hi there! Great ideas.

Thanks for stopping by my blog. I hope you'll come again...you're always welcome.

It's been fun visiting here.

I hope you're happy in your new home, but I'm sure you miss the beach. We sure love living here.

Hugs!
Kat

Anonymous said...

I LOVE the gift box idea. I just started doing this recently and its amazing how much money you can save and how nice it is to just go in the closet and grab a gift for that unexpected party.
-Tasha S.