Monday, October 4, 2010

Canning Apple Pie Filling and Apple Tart

I made an apple tart with one of my homemade cans of apple pie filling. I had a refrigerator dough crust, but had used the other one so didn't have a double crust so I made a tart instead of a pie. I just dumped the can of filling into the center and pulled the edges over the filling. I brushed the dough with melted butter and sprinkled sugar on it. I then baked it at 425 for about 40 minutes. About 30 minutes into baking it was browning so I covered it with foil to continue baking the apples. It seeped out over the edges, but was good.

Recipe for Apple Pie Filling- made 6.5 quart jars.

4 1/2 cups white sugar
1 cup cornstarch
3 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp salt
Measure these dry ingredients into a large pot and blend together with a fork. Add 10 cups water and mix well. Bring to a boil and cook until thick and bubbly. Remove from heat and add 3 tablespoons lemon juice.

Sterilize jars and lids.
Peel and core and slice about 6 lbs apples. Pack sliced apples into hot jars leaving about 1 inch headspace. Fill jars with syrup mixture leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Process in water bath canner for 20 minutes.

I had about 1/2 a jar of syrup mixture left. I did another batch and was able to fill another jar with the 1/2 left from each batch. If I was not making more I would save this in a container in the refrigerator to use as a topping on pancakes, icecream, or to make apple turnovers.

No comments: