Friday, January 1, 2010

Collards Recipe


Happy New Years! We just finished our lunch and it was really good. We had roast, carrots, collards, black-eyed peas, and cornbread. I have only cooked collards one other time so I was glad they came out really good. I thought I would share the recipe so I can make them again. Is it a southern thing to have collards or is that everywhere? However you celebrate I hope you have a great day and a fabulous 2010!
Collard Greens
16 oz package collards
10 cups chicken broth
5 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
2 ham hocks
garlic ( I used powder since I didn't have any fresh)
1 onion, sauteed
2 tsp sugar
salt and pepper
I sauteed the onion in the pot then added the broth and seasonings. Then I added the collards, stirring after each handful. In a seperate skillet I cooked the bacon. I then added a couple of cups of the stock from the collards to deglaze the pan and added all the pan drippings back to the collards. Let cook on medium- low heat for 2 hours. You want to reduce the stock. I added the garlic and salt and pepper by sprinkling it into the pot so I am unsure of the amounts. Crumble the bacon after it cools and add it to the pot.

No comments: