Thursday, October 22, 2009

We are THAT family- are you?

Kristen is celebrating her two year blogging anniversary and is collecting stories to celebrate. Join in, she is giving away some awesome prizes.

Back in 1998 my husband had to go to Grayling, Michigan to work. We lived in Florida so it sounded wonderful to be able to tag along and see some snow. We left exactly two weeks after I gave birth to our fourth child. Since I had just given birth I could not ski until I was six weeks postpartum, which was the very end of our trip. So, the day I that my son was six weeks old we hit the slopes. My husband was the only one who had ever skied, so the rest of us didn't even know how to put on a pair of skis, much less walk in them or ski. We went through the commotion of finding a pair of skis that would fit the seven and five year old, my husband, and me. Finally we each had our skis, along with a sled for the 18 month old, a 6 week old in a baby carrier, diaper bag, and video camera the size of a suitcase. Are you picturing this? We get the kids booted and tell them to carry their skis outside to put them on. My husband is working with them teaching them how to lock the boot into the ski and how to take them off. We suddenly realize that we don't have the 18 month old and panic. We run back to the lodge and a lady was holding her. We feel like horrible parents. We are lugging so much stuff it is rediculous. So, I go up the hill for my first ever ski experience, a little scared since I did just give birth. Since we had to wait until the middle of February to go skiing the top layer of snow would melt during the day a little then freeze again at night making it icy instead of powdery. I didn't know you were to zig zag down the hill so I went straight down. I got so scared I just finally sat down and my ski popped off. My husband had it on camera where I picked up my ski and marched off the hill.
.
I want to add that as moms we sometimes try to take on too much, just as our family did above. Most people would know you can take a seven and five year old skiing, carry a eighteen month and six week old, and then carry a diaper bag and video camera IN SNOW. Some people would warn you that it is rediculous to try. But, in trying and having many stories like this, our family has been able to experience things that are a lifetime of memories. We ARE that family. Some things happen that make you want to crawl under a rock and die. Some things give you memories that bond you together in laughter. Live life and take those moments- the good with the bad.

2 comments:

Kristen said...

So funny!

And YOU know I've BEEN THERE!!


Thanks for playing along!

Southern Gal said...

What a funny story! Trying to do too much is the story of my life.

Seems we have a few things in common. I see you've been married a long time to your high school sweetheart, too. We have three children ages 20, 18 and 7. The oldest is married and expecting our first grandbaby in June!