Thursday, May 14, 2009

Our new camper

We have dreamed many years of owning a camper and being able to vacation. Most of our vacations have been tagging along with my husband when he has to go TDY. It hasn't been all bad since we lived 6 miles from the beach in Destin and my dad lives on the water in Panama City. Our dream to have a camper and be able to spend weekends visiting nearby campgrounds making memories with the kids is finally here. I see weekends spent fishing and hiking and swimming. We live about 30 minutes from the Tennessee state line and have many nearby lakes and small mountains where we can explore. Here she is. We are buying my husband's sister's camper. She isn't named yet. And little does she know what I have in store for her. I haven't even seen the inside yet, but I am planning a whole new makeover to make her our beach cottage/ mountain cabin. I am planning on taking out carpet and putting in vinyl flooring. I am planning to make new curtains and recover the table and sofa cushions. I want to make pillows and buy dishes and items in fun colors of red, turquoise, yellow, and green.
I stopped by the thrift store yesterday and picked up the set of turquoise dishes above. I also found the tea kettle so we can have our sweet tea while sitting under the awning in the woods, or by the lake, or on a towel in the white sandy beaches of Florida. I found the tablecloth at Marshalls clearanced to $6. I haven't decided if I will leave it whole or make placemats or a runner. It is too big for the interior table and I think I want a wipeable one for outside. I am going to search garage sales and thrift stores for all the items I need to make this a fun home away from home.

This is a camper that is in Finland. I think they have it set up permanantly on a lake or something because it has a lot of things around that would not travel well. But, it is inspiration for what changing the upholstery and painting the cabinets can make it look so different. Still working on my husband about the painting of the cabinets.





I love, love, love these fabrics. They are Amy Butler fabrics. She has the most fun prints that I want so badly.



This is the colors I want except I want more of the coral/red color. I just want to find things and make them all blend together. Nothing matchy matchy. I HAVE to have this green.







I love this fabric. I just bought a LOT of fabric from a friend that had a purse business and is selling it all to move on in life. I can use a lot of it to make pillows and some smaller items. Most are 1 yard pieces so I still have to find fabric for the upholstery. It is so much fun. I love the hunt. I love the dreams of family time together. I know they probably will complain and there will be unending sand involved, but let me live here a little longer in my perfect fantasy life.




6 comments:

Marva said...

Wow! that is great! What wonderful memories you can make! Blessings!!!

We love Lake Guntersville and hope one day to own a camper and put there.

Blessings!

Anonymous said...

MY GOODNESS . . . how fun!!! You make camping sound like something I would like to do. But, in reality I was a campground kid . . . my family camped almost every weekend for years. Not so sure I want to re-live it.

Congratulations though and I am excited to see before and after pics.

Dawn said...

Congratulations on a dream come true. I'm certain you'll make lots of memories in yoru new camper. And probably lots of blog stories! Ha!

momstheword said...

Oh I hope you'll take pictures of the restoration process.

My boys loved camping, although we haven't been in years. They always found something to do and I enjoy the relaxation part of it!

Tami said...

Congratulations on your new camper. I told Jim I would never go camping again in a tent and I have stuck to that promise. I absolutely hate it. But it would be alright in a camper like that.

M. Axelson said...

How fun. We did trailer camping when I was growing up and it was a budget friendly way to travel.