Saturday, March 21, 2009

The start of the garden of 2009

It's not finished but I couldn't wait. We worked all day in the yard. My husband tilled the area behind me in the photo and also the area to the left of the two raised beds. They will be two more beds that we still have to make.
I planted the 7 rectangular pots in the background with onions. The two in the foreground are two different lettuces, and the round pots are flower seeds.

I planted 4 broccoli plants in the left bed and then put onions between them until the broccoli grows too big. I will just pull the onion early when it is crowded and have small onions. I have carrots in 3 squares in the right bed and two collard green plants. In the pots are 5 broccoli and 2 collards. I also planted 3 broccoli plants in the front flower bed.



This is from the street looking towards the back of our property. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that I planted over 100 corn seeds in the bed to the right. When it comes up I will plant green beans at the base of the corn stalks and let the beans run up the corn.









After tilling and planting we had the kids gather sticks and started a fire in our firepit. They roasted marshmallows.






Some burned the marshmallows crispy.




This is our neighbor kid.


































3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Haha, I like the picture of "the neighbor kid"

momstheword said...

This is going to be so nice. I am jealous! I want to have a garden but I don't want to do the work...sigh! Roasting marshmallows afterwards sure looked fun!

mommyofmany said...

Wow! You've really been busy. We've done a little bit in our garden, but a lot of it is still in the planning stages. It'll happen soon, though.

BTW... I have an email ready to send your way, but I can't find your email address anywhere! Please send it to me at sferrill AT gmail DOT com. Thanks!