Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Trash To Treasure Headboard

A picture is worth 1000 words is having Trash to treasure Tuesdays. Today I am sharing the headboard with you, again, that I made for my daughter. It was our old coffee table. We had a leg that no matter how much we tightened and glued it still would get loose and make the table wobble when the kids were sitting and standing on it :) It drove my husband crazy and he tried to take it to the curb many times but I kept a broom handy to whack him if he tried. I loved the carving and look of the coffee table and saw her potential. We removed the beautiful legs(which he is also trying to throw out, but I have hidden in the attic until I can make an ottoman out of them.) We painted her turquoise and then rubbed gel tobacco glaze over her to make her look all loved and aged. She came from the store with dents and "worm holes" so she really takes the glaze in her laugh lines well.














My son and daughter just traded rooms. She started out in the "living room" of our house that has french doors. We eventually decided to do away with a dining room so that we could make an extra room with tv and game system for the kids so we turned her room into a media room and moved her into the dining room. That was paint brown room number two. FYI- brown paint takes multiple coats since it is a dark color. Now, she traded with her brother and I don't know if I can paint his old/ her new room again!

16 comments:

Gone said...

What a great Trash to Treasure Headboard!! It looks wonderful!

Christy said...

It's beautiful. It's amazing how you can see potential in things. I have to see the finished product, which is unfortunate because it costs more $$.

Tami said...

Love the headboard. BTW, I got my Victoria's Secret stuff yesterday too. I took one look at the catalog and stuffed back in the package. Too much for little eyes but I still wanted to look at it. Anyway, love the bras. This is the first time I have ever owned VS bras. I've heard so many people raving about them. Now I know why. Thanks for the tip.

Deb said...

Such a fantastic, creative idea for using an old coffee table!! I love the carving and the colour you painted it and the glazing. I'm drawn to anything with cracks and dents and worm holes too - I think it gives a piece character. Great trash to treasure post.

Michelle said...

That is really pretty!

Michelle said...

still lovin' the headboard. You did a great job...good idea for it too!

Valarie Lea said...

I just absolutely love this! I tell everybody about it. Remind me though what did you do with the legs??

Southerner said...

Valerie- the legs are hidden in the attic. I have booby trapped the unspoken location so my husband cannot throw them away. He would, you know. He really gets on my nerves that way. They are really fat and curve out and then skinnier at the bottom. If you look at McKenzie Childs furniture this is what they have hidden in them. I want to add a cushion to the top and make an ottoman. I would really like a round ottoman with really funky fabric and trim, then paint the legs like the McKenzie Childs legs. Saving $1247.97. And he wants to throw them out!

Picket said...

Monring friend! That is a fantastic trash to treasure item! So unique and a one of a kind...love the color!

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Wow! I never would have guessed that's a coffee table! What a creative thing you did there!!!

I hopped over from Diane's, and I'm really enjoying seeing this and the other blogger's T to T posts. Thanks so much for sharing with us.

Sheila :-)

Missy Wertz said...

That is a trash to treasure! It is beautiful! Love the headboard. If fact, I think I like it better than seeing it as a coffee table.

Unknown said...

I would never have thought to do that! You did an awesome job! It's absolutely beautiful.

You inspired me. A while back, you posted pics of a lamp you had spray painted, and I thought it looked amazing.

Well, we had this hideous brass fixture in the dining room, and my mom had given me a pretty chandelier, so we took the ugle brass one down, spray painted it oil rubbed bronze, and hung it in the bathroom. Hubs kept saying, "I don't think this will work." After he was finished, we were BOTH amazed at how gorgeous it looks!

Unknown said...

Hi
Love your headboard! Especially the color.
Thanks for playing along...I'm going to try to do it every Tuesday!

I enjoy all your money saving hints!
Diane

Darlene said...

I came over from Diane's blog. What a fabulous make-over on that table! The headboard turned out GREAT!

Anonymous said...

I adore your family photo. A wonderful photo idea. We also have five children and we had to double up in sharing bedrooms. They are all grown and have families of there own.

Now for that beautiful headboard for your daughters makeover bedroom. All just lovely and clever. I am glad your coffee table was saved from the curb side trash. Good thinking!!

Hugs...Jeanne

Beth at Aunties said...

It looks super fun and turned out so nice and colorful. I bet your daughter loves it. Who would have ever thought it used to be your Coffee Table. Great creativity!!!!
Super Trash to Treasure Post!