Saturday, November 1, 2008

Garage Sale



We had a garage sale today. I was really pleased that we made $220.00. I had four boxes of my free after rebate or after coupon items that I sold. I didn't feel like I really had a lot of other stuff to sell. I weeded through my magazines and books. I went through my closet and got rid of everything in sizes that I am not in that I would not go pay full price for. Why have I kept things waiting to lose in to them? I really didn't have any big ticket items, all just $1-$2. I got a lot of questions about my boxes of medicine/toiletries/cleaners. I had 6 bottles of Robitussin, and 6 of Advil and Dimetapp. I also put out 6 boxes of Kashi and Live Active cereal that we do not like and the free soyjoy bars from last week at CVS. I wondered if the cereal would sell. My husband said that no one would buy medicine and asked me if I would buy it from a garage sale. Um.... no, because Walgreens pays me $4 for every 3 bottles I buy! It all went at $2 a bottle. I put $2.50 on the gillette fusion razors- all sold. I priced the Old Spice body wash at $1.50 and sold 6 of them.

I had one man that was foreign and he actually spoke English pretty well but he was so funny. He picked up each item and asked me what it did. He would pick up deoderant and act like he was putting it on and grunt in question. Then, he picked up the body wash and I am pretending to wash my arm and saying liquid soap and he would ask, "shower?" and this went on for EVERY item. He then would pick up 3 items and ask to get them for the price of one and I would counter and he would say, "Aw, come on" and beg. I gave him some deals but a couple of times offered my counter and stood at it and we just had a good time. My husband was roaming around and I was behind the guys back grabbing my husband and telling him to stay RIGHT HERE.

We took all the stuff not worth storing for another 6 months to the thrift store. I made a box of clothes to use as craft material, another box for the Kids Mart, and am listing 3 different sets of my husband's dress pants on Craigslist. They all are in great shape- especially the pair with tags still on them. I am listing a Pentax camera and zoom lens (that I got out of Yuppy trash at the street in Florida) and seeing if I can sell it. We also have a ladder that was in the garage when we moved in and the truck liner from my husband's truck to list. So, I might make a few more dollars if these items sell.

I love it when I weed through and get rid of stuff. I am not a pack rat. I am pretty good about getting rid of stuff that we don't use. I can't stand cluttered cabinets and closets- I like it all lined up in neat color coded rows. I alphabatize my spices. I fold my underwear. If I could just not want every dish set I see!

I kept 24 tubes of toothpaste and left out enough to make our Operation Christmas Child boxes and I still had about 8 to sell. I just sold them at $1 each. That citrus Crest is gross- my husband said he liked it. I want mint when brushing not citrus- I never felt like I had cleaned my teeth.

3 comments:

Valarie Lea said...

Awww I wish I had have come! I almost called you today. We went to town to go see Mama and then to find Basketball shoes for Lil Logan. I had the men folk with me so time in town was limited. You know how men get when you take the shopping and stuff. :)

Anonymous said...

Sometimes Garage Sale people are just to scary! YIKES! Where do they come from?

lisa said...

Sometimes if you take older cameras to camera shops they will sell it on consignment for you. You would get a better price that way.