Monday, August 4, 2008

Scuba Diving in Cozumel

We did not pay for the scuba excursion, instead we took a taxi to Chankanaab Park and hired an instructor there. We had to pay a park entry fee and pay for the taxi there and to return to the dock it was still less expensive than the boat excursion. If we would have gone with the excursion we would have been with a group. Since we went by ourselves we got to scuba dive alone with the instructor. If you ever get a chance to go it is well worth the money. I rank it up there with the best experiences of my life. We were only able to go about 25 feet without being certified. I never had any fear of the sea life. It is so strange because you feel like you are in a different world. I was so calm and relaxed looking at all of the sea life. We saw a baracuda. I empressed the instructor that I swam up to the baracuda instead of freaking out. You just do not feel threatened. We saw a group of tarpon fish and I actually thought they were a group of small sharks. I was not afraid thinking they were sharks. I really want to go again!

They had two statues sunken in the water.

This is a lobster coming out of a hole.We swam through a cave tunnel. This is coming out the other side of the tunnel.
The baracuda we saw. Fabio, our instructor, is behind the fish.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am sooooo jealous! Totally gorgeous! The underwater pictures were great!

Love all of the photos!

Valarie Lea said...

The baracuda reminds me of Fiding Nemo. :)

The Life of a Footballgoddess said...

If you happen to go again, there is a small town about 25 minutes south of Calica where you can access a public beach and swim in the bay. The bay is the home to sea turtles. They are there mostly year round and they nest on the shores there. If you go right in off the beach you can swim along with them and watch them.
It is breathtaking.

I loved your scuba pics. Cozumel is one of my favorite places on earth.

My first trip to the area was on a cruise ship for one very short day. Since then I've been back 5 times each time longer and longer.

Thanks for sharing your trip.