Friday, April 11, 2008

Pioneer Day

We woke up to this little bunny sitting outside the kitchen window eating some of the weeds that have grown up.
We went to Killem, AL for a Pioneer Homeschool Day. They had a bunch of pioneer crafts for the kids to do.
They made bows and arrows.
They chopped their veggies to cook over a fire. The people roasted some pork and chicken.
Cooking our own lunch.
The kids hand dipped candles.

We are studying American History so it fit in to see how they lived a little. We went an hour away to someone's home with an actual outhouse. (Yep, we avoid non flushing toilets as much as we can.) They churned icecream with a hand turned churn. They made butter with a jar with a handle that you turn. They had a wringer wash tub and the kids could run rags through it and hang on a line. They were supposed to weave a basket, quilt, and we left when they took us behind the barn to a stack of wood and the kids were going to build their chicken coop. I knew bad weather was coming and I had an hour drive home, and I didn't want to stand there while the kids built their coop so we left. I felt out of place. I was the only one from our group that went and everyone else seemed to know each other.

4 comments:

Tami said...

That sounds really cool. My Zane would love it especially making the bows. I need to check in to something like that around here. Maybe at Oconaluftee Village in Gatlinburg? Not sure. Anyway, sounds like you had fun today.

j said...

Sounds like an interesting trip. The photos of the kids were great!!

I know how you feel about being out of place. Not so fun.

Jennifer

Brenda said...

Looks like the kids had a great time. That's the trouble I found trying to get involved with our hs group here, a little uncomfortable. I guess I should give it another try sometime.
Have a great weekend.
Brenda :)

Michelle said...

That looks like so much fun for the kids. Kyle would love making the bows.